Friday, November 9, 2012

Confession: When I run I listen to terrible music...

Whoops, it would appear that I've forgotten already that I started a blog!  I should probably get into the habit of posting more regularly. 

As I was on my tempo run on Monday at lunchtime, listening to music and trying to keep my pace between 5:00-5:10 p/km, I realised that I listen to TERRIBLE music when I run.  Now a disclaimer, it's "terrible" music to me, but you might think that "Pound the Alarm" by Nicki Minaj is the best song ever written (it's not, by the way). Why do I listen to it then? Well, even though it's terrible, it's music that makes me want to dance while I run. See, I'm a closeted pop-music fan (although I guess I'm out of the closet now...?) and while I don't like that type of music all, there are some songs that even though I wouldn't be caught dead listening to it in my car, or play it in front of friends, if it's coming through my pink SkullCandy ink'd headphones I will boogy my butt away while pounding the pavement.  Anything basically that makes me do teeny tiny "jazz hands" while I run is good to me.  So, while I feel I'm fairly musically "open" and enjoy listening to many types of music, I do have certain categories for certain times.
My first love is metal. Not hair-metal (Poison, Van Halen) and not pop-metal (this is a tough one because "pop" can mean different things to different people but to ME, pop-metal are a lot of groups that became popular in the 90's and 2000's - Staind, Mudvayne, Papa Roach...). Metal also doesn't include acts like Nickleback by the way. That's technically classified as "crap".  Anyways, I love Deftones, Thursday, RefusedThe BronxMastodonDillinger Escape Plan, Alexisonfire, The Bled, and so many more amazing hardcore and metal bands. Oh and did I mention that my husband was part of an amazing hardcore/metal/progressive band called Kincaide ? They no longer play together in a band but they sure could make some amazing music when they did.



KINCAIDE
DEFTONES
(source)

I also like indie/alternative bands like Interpol, Death Cab for Cutie, Father John Misty, Band of Horses, Bon Iver, The NationalBrand New and many more.  On a flip side I love Nina Simone, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Louis Armstrong (and whatever else is playing on the “big band” station on our TV).  I love hip hop/rap (I’m not going to get into the differences of it, I just like what I like) – Outkast, N.W.A, Hilltop hoods and Jay-Z & Kanye West.  Basically, the only “type” of music that doesn’t really entertain me is Opera, and country (but I do like some country, like old Johnny Cash or Dolly Parton – I’m just not a fan of Rascall Flats, Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood).  And then there’s pop...

At the moment when I run, I don’t always listen to music. I don’t plug in when I’m running with others like my dad on hill days or speed work, because we talk to each other (or huff and puff while we make our way up a hill) and I don’t listen to music when I do my long group runs because I find that kind of rude.  One of the joys about running with people is that you get to talk to them, listen, and form a bond. You can encourage each other and work through problems whether they are running related or not. When you’re plugged in to music, it may help you through the length of the run, but I feel that your time passes on the run much faster if you have chatted and sweated your way through with a bunch of people who really were listening to you (even if the only words you mutter are “not this f*!%king hill again!”).  So, I try to only run with my ipod when I'm running alone.  When I do run with my music, and I have my "run Jess run" play list playing, then my legs just fly. I get goosebumps and my arms want to start doing complicated dance moves  on their own to the music as I keep running along. Running to music really helps at that point where my legs won't go faster, or I just want to stop. Hearing an awesome line or notes of a song just give you that extra last push to make it through.  So without further ado, I will share with the Internet world my running play list (since I told you it was bad you can't judge me too harshly...right?):

N*gga's in Paris - Jay-Z & Kanye West
Gotta Have it - Jay-Z & Kanye West
Set Fire to the Face on Fire - The Blood Brothers
Korea - Deftones
Monster Hospital (MSTRKRFT Remix) - Metric
Fuck tha Police - N.W.A
F*ck Authority - Pennywise
Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen
Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites - Skrillex
**Cool down - at the moment I can't stop listening to "Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings" & "This is Sally Hatchet" by Father John Misty )

So as I said, some pretty terrible and some pretty good music to run to. This play list REALLY keeps me going and most of the time I can't even listen to the whole thing due to it being so long. But if I need a push, any one of the above songs at the moment can help me through the fatigue and pain.
What do YOU listen to when you run?

No comments:

Post a Comment