Saturday, October 20, 2012

Wannabe

This morning was fantastic. The weather held off and we were able to complete a beautiful 21.6km run through downtown Victoria, Beacon Hill Park, and Oak Bay. We still have 5 weeks to go until Seattle so this will be one of the last longer runs we do before tapering.

Ross Bay Cemetery

So over the last 2 months or so, I have been joining my Dad's Saturday morning running group for their long runs. They are known as the "Want2be's" (link: http://want2bvic.weebly.com/ ) and they are a group of wonderfully talented and fun people. I am a "wannabe wannabe" - I think at the moment they are debating whether I can officially join their club - hopefully no severe hazing rituals are involved. Apparently I'm "too young" which I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or not. Anyways, these guys and gals are great and I really love the getting to join them on their Saturday runs. They have oodles of experience and are very talented runners. They always have great routes and have great chats while running. Two perks for me: they are faster than I am so every run is a little bit of a push - making me faster and stronger (or so I like to believe) and we all get to poke fun at my Dad (in good nature of course) for various silly things like his strange adoration of pace bunnies....It's a win-win in my books.

 

This last photo is of the Want2be's having the mandatory post-run coffee this morning after our run

(Left to right - Karen, Cynthia, Bruce, Don, Mike and Sam)

Anyways, just wanted to say a big thank-you to the Want2Be's for including me!

Post run my calves were pretty sore. They have been feeling pretty tight since I started TRX again so I rolled around on my foam roller for a while which hurt so bad, but I know it does some good. After that I gathered up my water bottle (actually Dusty's water bottle but since he wasn't home I snagged it - mwahahaha) my magazines, and some bath salts and bath bombs that my mother-in-law gave me (thanks Linda!) and had a bath. Definitely worth it even though I detest baths because a) you're bathing in your own filth (so yes, I rinsed off before and afterwards) and b) because when I watched "What lies beneath" years ago there is a bathtub scene that scarred me for life. Which is why I only take baths when I'm desperate for muscle relief. No ice baths for me though; I'm a wimp.

 

(Yes that is an awesome turtle sticker on my bathtub wall.)

Afterwards I napped for about an hour (because I have no other things going on in life - my husband was chopping wood like a boss lumberjack all day) and then ate a delicious egg and spinach salad (veggie bacon mandatory) while watching "I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry".

A pretty successful Saturday to me!

Cypress and I are basically the same. We both like to snooze and cuddle, on repeat.

 

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you! You have a great little blog going, and I am so envious of your awesome runs! I would love to get into running, but my back is just soo bad right now. Anyways, keep doing what you are doing. Very inspiring! PS - Lets do coffee! :)

    ReplyDelete